The Weekly Après-Ski Food and Wine Pairing
by The Chalet at 11º East
CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD WITH JERMANN PINOT GRIGIO
The après ski tradition is an important end to your day of skiing in Austria! After a day on the mountain you will have worked up a healthy appetite for hot, delicious food and a glass of wine to complement the home-cooking. This week, our recipe is for our signature chicken caesar salad paired with Jermann Pinot Grigio.
(serves 10 people)
- 5 x large chicken breasts
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine lettuce, shredded – 3 large
- 2 packets croutons
- Caesar dressing – use good quality or make your own
with recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caesar-salad-dressing-recipe.html
- Parmesan cheese – use a vegetable peeler to make shavings
- Anchovies to garnish, if desired
- Begin by cooking the chicken. Place in a large oven-proof dish or tin, drizzle over a little oil and season well.
- Place in the oven, select Moisture Plus 180C, Automatic burst of steam and follow the on-screen prompts to add the water. Set a duration of 30 minutes and press ‘OK’.
- Once the chicken has cooked, remove form the oven and allow to rest and cool slightly on a board for about 10 minutes. Then, slice each breast diagonally.
- Place the shredded lettuce leaves in a large bowl with the croutons, and pour over some dressing. Toss in the bowl to coat well, and divide on to 10 plates.
- Fan out half a chicken breast on to each plate on top of the lettuce, and scatter over some parmesan shavings on each one.
- To serve, garnish with anchovies if desired, and a grinding of black pepper.
Jermann Pinot Grigio 2013, Fruili Venezia Giulia, Italy
The Jermann family began their wine-growing tradition back in 1881 in Burgenland, Austria, later moved to the Slovenian countryside and have now put down roots in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region of Italy. Having been in the wine business for a long time, their experience certainly shines through with this Pinot Grigio. The nose opens with delicate citrus notes and ripe pear. On the palate you’ll find flavours of juicy apple, lemon, lime, and grapefruit intertwined with white peach. Texturally, this Pinot Grigio has more weight than most and you’ll find the body and flavour in this wine are concentrated enough to stand up to the strong flavours in the Caesar. In addition, the fresh acidity cuts through the fat in the salad dressing, creating a perfect balance between the wine and the food.
Enjoy this après-ski recipe brought to you by The Chalet at 11º East Obergurgl, Tirol. Stay tuned for another food and wine pairing next week!